Wednesday, January 17, 2007

LESSONS in dancing could soon replace anti-depressants as the best cure for the blues, according to new research.

Interesting research...
A study found patients with depression received a huge boost in confidence and contentment after they attended dance classes.
Mental health researchers at the UK's University of Derby tested the levels of depression in volunteers before sending them off for 9 weeks of dancing.

The results showed significant improvement for all class members who completed the experiment, lecturer Matt Birks said. Social interaction, shared experience, concentrating on learning a new skill and the confidence this can bring.These probably all played a part.

One of the volunteers - Daniel Cohen who works for a trade union said:

I sometimes dance four nights a week.I absolutely love it, I'm not surprised it helps people deal with depression. I always tell my family and friends that dancing makes me feel better if I've had a tough day at work.

Dancing has a social side as well. There's a strong network of people in my classes and we have a lot of fun together. Dancing's just a great way to give yourself a lift.

No comments: