Saturday, January 06, 2007

'Strictly Dancing Doctor'


This article has been written and published by our very own Broadstairs Dance Coach - Joe.
Have a read and pass on the benefits to your friends!
Tracy x

'Strictly Dancing Doctor '
GPs to prescribe dance ... said the headline (Times Dec 6th 2006). Well, we are used to signing the exercise prescriptions for selected groups to attend the local gym, so why not do the same for dance classes?
There is good published evidence that dancing improves cardiovascular and mental health and that it can also help in weight loss. The biggest drawback to us implementing this policy will be our own attitudes to dance.
Embarrassment is a huge obstacle for anyone contemplating dancing as a pastime. My first dance experience was at primary school when I was selected for the country dancing team. Coming from a family of six brothers I came in for some ribbing and taunts of ‘sissy!’ This I could cope with. My main concern was how to avoid dancing with Celia who had hand warts.
Later in life I did some Morris dancing. Again embarrassment might have inhibited me especially as the dancing was often on my patch and patients were highly delighted to see their doctor oddly attired and flourishing hankies or sticks. Morris dancing can be very healthy exercise but there is a culture of beer drinking that goes with it and rather cancels out some of the health benefits. Injuries from careless stick clashing are also a regular occurrence and I have on one occasion sutured the head of a fellow dancer, and sent in the claim form for ‘immediate and necessary treatment’!
About twenty years ago I took up Ballroom and Latin classes. This was in the days before Strictly Come Dancing had raised the profile of dancing to its present level. People thought of this as rather sedate and only for the elderly. Not so. An evening of quickstep, tango and ballroom jive can be every bit as vigorous as any gym based aerobics session. We often encountered teenagers and young adults training for dance competitions and realized this was a pastime for all ages.
In the last 8 years I have spent more and more time, often two or three evenings a week doing modern jive. Classes exist in most towns or cities marketed under various brand names; Ceroc, Leroc and my current favourite Smooth Jive with Dance Riviera.These classes attract large numbers of dancers of all ages. The reason they are popular is because on the very first night you will have learnt enough to effectively dance. The emphasis is less on accurate footwork and progress from beginner to intermediate is rapid taking only six weeks. There is almost continuous dancing in the freestyle sections of the evening in which you will dance with many partners of varying experience. There is a rule that anyone may approach anyone else for a dance and it is rude to say no. So shy men don’t have to make all the running, and no lady needs to be a wallflower. I have now been appointed a dance coach by the jive organisation I currently attend. A dance coach instructs beginners in the twenty or so beginners moves, gets in free and gets a tea-shirt with ‘Dance Coach’ embellished on it!
What is evident is that everyone jiving is having a very happy time judging by the smiles and chatter that goes on. Dancing continues outside the classes as weekend dances and parties arranged by ordinary members are a regular feature. Some people take their hobby further by entering national competitions in exotic venues like Blackpool or Brighton. I thought about it but the only category that seemed to fit was ‘the old gits’ category for the over forties! I decided to defer my entry for this year.
So what have been the benefits to me as a non-golf playing doctor? I have had regular evening and weekend exercise in a form that is interesting and enjoyable. I have very strong legs and arms: my lung function is excellent; I have a positive attitude to work and can counter stress by dancing it out of my system. Apparently, spatial functioning and coordination improve through dancing. There are also studies showing that it delays or prevents the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
At parties and reunions I have a social skill that takes me away from the bar and the buffet. It is a well known fact in the dancing world that it is unwise to drink and jive. As a life style change I have no hesitation in recommending dancing to everyone, both colleagues and patients.

No comments: