Thursday, February 01, 2007

Strictly Baby Ballroom - Tuesday night

Set your Sky Plus or video recorder next Tuesday (6th Feb) for Strictly Baby Ballroom. Channel 4 at 9pm.

Filmed over the course of year, Strictly Baby Ballroom gives a rare and fascinating backstage glimpse into the world of competitive juvenile ballroom dancing. Full of drama and tension, amazing dance, make-up and outfits, the film follows the very best dancers in the UK under-12 age category as they work up to the most important competition of their lives, the World Championships in Blackpool, England. Full of ups and downs; couples that break up, a shortage of male partners and a televised appeal for new dancers, we see the commitment, financial sacrifices and hard competitive spirit required by both the parents and the dancers as they strive to be the very best in the world.

What's frightening is that when I see these stage parents I think it's terrible to push their child like that, but I reckon I'd be just like that if I had kids!!! Jim's god-daughter Jade entered an Irish Dancing contest last year, I did her make-up and then stood up and was telling her to smile smile smile!!! it was so nerve-racking! Anyway, these programme should be good. Nicky


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad this programme is on before the new venue so at least I can plan to stay in and watch it!

My three eldest nieces did Irish dancing and to start with it was just dancing but towards the end it was full make up, curly wigs (even though my eldest niece is natural like me) silk and not velvet dresses and then finally the dancing!

Still it wasnt partner dancing and well when I finally talk my niece into coming dancing you can see how high she can kick!!!

I saw the pushy parents too - talking about the family coat of arms on the back of the dress etc! Its nerve wracking but enjoyable especially when you hear other families commenting on your own brood - aunties can be a lot more emotional than parents sometimes! Sniff!

Dance Riviera said...

I think it's great that kids learn to dance. I wish I had...Although I would probably have been riduculed at school for it.

Good luck to em!

Jim x

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I have jusy watched those poor youngsters go through hell and back all because their parents want them to be the best. Please god shoot me if I get like that with my daughter!

Dance Riviera said...

I might watch it tonight so I can see what happens. Are they really that bad?

Jim x

Dance Riviera said...

Jim & I watched Strictly Baby Ballroom last night and were amazed at how good these kids are, how much dedication they put into it and of course how these parents are living their dreams through their children.

It's such a sad thing but can sooooo see myself in these parents. I personally think if the kids want to do it, then the parents do whatever they can to help them achieve it. It's when the kids don't want to do and they get pushed, that's the problem.

It was a little spooky that these kids look like little adults with all the make up, hair etc.

Nx