Thursday, August 09, 2007

Broadstairs Folk Week Friday 10th Aug.....


Broadstairs Folk Week starts Friday August 10th and runs till the following Friday. It is an event packed week which brings colour, music and dance to the town and into my life for one week each August. Sometimes the sun shines, sometimes it teems down with rain, but nothing stops that spirit of summer in my favourite seaside town. The torchlight procession to the beach on the first Saturday is always a favourite with the townspeople who turn out in thousands to line the street and watch the dancers and fire eaters, clowns and hobby horses . Carnival time!
Over the years I have participated in all sorts of dancing workshops, from European polkas and French bourrees to many different types of Morris dancing. This year I intend to try Cajun and Zydeco dancing which is fast hill-billy type dancing from the Lousianna swamps. I think the arm movements are like jive but I will let you know next week!
The best dances are the Ceilidhs , like American Square dance, but faster and wilder with a celtic element. The bands at Ceilidhs vary from the staider English country dance bands to multi instrument rock and roll bands . Whether you come to dance or listen to the band it is a laughter filled experience.
A lot of the events are free and it is quite possible to fill your day with wandering from one pub gig to the next , listening to groups and joining in choruses with fine pub singers. On the way you can pause at the various busking points to watch jugglers, dancers and in one memorable year the Rolf Harris appreciation society, all bearded, some with three legs and playing didgeridoos or stylophones. (Bet there is no one reading this who knows what a stylophone was!)
The craft tent is a place you can buy anything from a musical instrument to dance shoes , or wonderful local art and crafts. You can buy a load of tat too !

If you have never been and want more information, visit the website at http://www.broadstairsfolkweek.org.uk/

You may catch a rare site of me dancing morris !

Joe ( Broadstairs Coach)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well we have a Morris dancer at Swanley - Terry! Tee hee!!!! TM!

Also just a reminder to whose who dont know but I love Ceilidh dancing - particularly the Ceilidh spin (even if John Sweeney has taught me a Galway alternative!) My Mum and Dad until my Dad's recent knee operation were still doing the figure of four - you have to see that spin to believe it!

Its in my blood
Christine

Anonymous said...

Well, Folk week is nearly over for another year. This year I have learnt to do some basic Cajun dancing, consisting of ‘two steps,’ waltz , and Cajun jitterbug. Some other Smooth Jivers notably Rosie and Barbara from Broadstairs were at these workshops and we had some good laughs. Today I have the option of following the Wantsum Morris or going to my sons Birthday tea party in the park. He asked me to take some photos of his bevy of female friends who are going to wear fairy costumes, (Don’t ask.) So my dilemma is do I follow a bunch of hairy beery morris men , or take photos of young scantily clad ladies. Hmm.. I think this is what is known as a no-brainer!