Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Move it 2008

Courtesy of Joe (one of our lovely coastal dancers) here is a review of Move It 2008 ...


Last year I was able to get free tickets to 'Move It!' the dance extravaganza at Olympia after writing an article on dancing, lifestyle and health in a doctors' newspaper. This year I noticed that the same paper- the BMA News was giving away free tickets to this year's event. I applied and once again was lucky .We went this weekend, Sunday 9th March 2008. If you haven't been, I strongly recommend it to anyone with any interest in dance.

We were treated to main stage performances of many different styles of dancing from Ballroom to Bollywood; Latin to Lindy hop; Tap to Tango. There was a Jive demo too- really good.What is a surprise is that 'urban' styles- break dancing etc- are a real treat. The rhythms and cool movements had this old guy enthusing. I am not about to take it up though, I don't think my body can pop - not that sort of pop anyway.There are lots of workshops and seminars but you are advised to book up the dance workshops in advance- they had all more or less sold out when I looked at the website. But lucky people were able to attend lessons by celebrities such as Ian Waite and Carmilla from Strictly Come Dancing. and I think Anton and Erin were there sometime over the weekend.There are lots of shopping opportunities- dance wear and shoes, accessories, and I bought a trilby hat- I'll tell you more later- its to do with 'Anything Goes'.I also bought an Argentine Tango beginners instructional DVD from one stall for £15, only to find it on sale at another for £10. Doh!I also had a lovely chat with Christine Keeble who wrote, produced and starred in a beginners modern jive instructional video- 'How to Jive' -now available in DVD format. She is charming and as pretty as ever. I can highly recommend this DVD to beginners, coaches and teachers. I have rarely seen a better dance video/DVD. She wears a lovely multicoloured flary skirt in it too which adds too the fun.

We met up, by chance with Kerry and Nigel and Gareth, Dance Riviera friends and had lunch in Pizza Express. Kerry (Herne Bay crew) was fresh from her Kent Play Clubs Jive fund raiser which featured Jim and Nicky. By all accounts it was a great success so she celebrated by flipping her pizza onto the floor. We stopped her dusting it off and eating it. Well done Kerry.It was a lovely day.

I was once more dragged home by Wendy, dreaming of Samba dancers and their costumes. Hmm... Bet you can wait until next year Joe??

1 comment:

Jan Hewett said...

This is my 3rd year now and each year has been excellant. The last 2 years I have been with pupils from the school where I teach and we have all enjoyed both performances and workshops....this year, salsa, hip hop, street dance, Brazilian samba..my calf muscles were suffering a bit next day ! ..if you havnt been well worth a visit next year....Jan -Herne Bay